Before getting to the recipe for ‘faada khichdi’, let us first know some facts about this dish.
Calories & Nutrients content.
One serving has approx 400 calories (minimum 2000 calories must be consumed by an adult).
It consist of Carbohydrates, proteins and fat in it.
Origin or History of the dish.
Fada khichdi or also could daliya khichdi is a gujarati dish.
The word ‘fada’ came from word ‘fadvu’ which means to split or broken cereal.
Interesting facts about the dish.
Do you know khichdi is also called the ‘queen of food’.
Khichdi is also called ‘Polenta’ in english.
Ingredients for fada khichdi
- 1/4 cup of fada/dalia/broken wheat.
- 1/4 cup green moong dal.
- 3-4 cloves of garlic.
- 1 green chilli.
- 1/2 inch ginger.
- 1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds.
- 1/2 teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder.
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder.
- 1 teaspoon dhana-jeeru/cumin-coriander powder.
- a pinch of garam masala.
- salt to taste.
- a pinch of sesame seeds and chopped coriander to garnish.
Method for fada khichdi
- In a bowl bring together the grains and dal. Wash them until the water runs clear.
- Soak them for 30 minutes.
- Place the pressure cooker on stove. Keep the heat to medium. Add jeera and once it starts releasing its aroma add the pureed onion+tomato mixture.
- Cook till the water in the mix has dried out and you smell the sautéed onions.
- Add the spices: turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander an-cumin powder and salt. Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Add the soaked fada+dal and the garam masala.
- Add 2 cups of water and give the contents a good mix.
- Cover the pressure cooker and cook for two whistles (around 8-10 minutes).
- Do not open immediately, allow the pressure to escape naturally.
- Once the pressure has escaped open and transfer the contents to serving bowl, garnish with sesame seeds, chopped coriander and serve steaming hot.